Wednesday, July 28, 2004

Beef Short Ribs in A1 Sauce


Beef Short Ribs in A1 Sauce

My husband loves beef so much any way I cook it. Since beef cannot be usually found at our local market, whenever he gets the chance to drop by our suking beef vendor in Changhua City (about 15 mins away from our place)he would buy a lot! And yesterday, he did!


So I wouldn't be surprised if the succeeding posts here will be more on beef recipes...

Anyway, I started it last night with Beef Short Ribs. Most of the time, I just marinate the beef with soy sauce (we use low-sodium), pepper, worcestershire sauce and maggi(tm) savor. This time, however, I used Lee Kum Kee(tm)oyster sauce, soy sauce and pepper, but no salt since I didn't want the dish to get too salty 'coz I'll be adding on more sauce towards the end of the cooking. Why oyster sauce? Mostly because I ran out of my usual pang marinate and all I had was oyster sauce...so I thought I'd give it a swirl or two...

So here's how it went...



Heated my wok til it was smokin'hot...




...then dropped (gently!) rather, more like arrange the beef ribs on the wok.


Turn over to brown the other side.


Just before dishing it out, pour in desired amount of A1(tm) steak sauce on top



Mix well, dish out and serve at once while piping hot.

Note to myself: The disadvantage of using a wok in frying beef is that the juice tends to accumulate on the bottom of the wok, thus lengthening the browning time. So I had to let the wok heat up really hot!

2 comments:

Manang said...

Naku Bernice! Yan ang problem ko. Flat ang cooktop ko kaya alang wok. Previous house kasi ni Mr nasunog kaya ingat sya sa possible causes of fire, including flames from stove. Medyo naga-adjust nga ako sa flat kasi konting lift lang, ang laking diperensya sa heat! Pero grabe ang sarap ng itsura ng beef ribs mo ha. Medyo takot pa ako sa piping hot kasi baka masunog ko bago lumambot. Yung beef ribs ba, madali lang lumambot? Mga ilang minutes yan?

nice said...

It can be quite scary to work on a very hot wok/pan. If it catches fire, which could happen when you put in the meat and the oil splatters into the fire (it has actually happened to me on several occasions). When this happens, just cover your wok/pan (to decrease the oxygen that is feeding the fire). And it usually stops naman. I'm not sure you can use a wok on a flat stove top (although I've seen a device advertised to fit the wok into a flat top) but my wok actually as a flat bottom! But then, with a flat top, the heat won't get evenly distributed. But Manang, you can also use special grill pans for cooking beef. This pan has high ridges on the bottom to keep the beef away from the drippings so it browns faster.

To avoid overcooking the beef, especially since short ribs are somewhat thinly sliced, it is better fry them for just about 1 minute or two on each side. I guess that depends on how you want your beef. For me I prefer medium-well. As a matter of fact, I just had enough time to put the camera down then turned the ribs to the other side, etc. It was a riot!!!

Ps. Manang, I've edited this post to include a photo of my smokin'hot wok!