Wednesday, July 28, 2004

Welcome to my Kitchen


I 've been cooking for almost half of my life. My father first taught me to cook. He didn't (still doesn't) use cookbooks, he plays it by taste and scent. Yes, by scent! With this kind of initiation into cooking I guess it is of little wonder then, that although I have quite a collection of cookbooks, I don't follow a recipe to the last pinch!

I improvise (in case some ingredients are unavailable) or adapt the recipe to my or my family's discerning(?!) tastes. Settling down in Taiwan has also provided me with more experience in working the wok! As a homemaker, I cook two meals a day. Although I have to admit I consider it a chore on some days but most of the time, I find it a challenge to satisfy my children's discriminatory taste buds!

I will be posting some recipes which have been tried and tested (hits!) through the years. This way, friends and family who ask for my recipes can have this resource readily available to them ( and to you too!) I will also be posting some new recipes which I am still working on, fine tuning the taste or whatever...this will probably where we'll see more misses than hits!

Either way, I welcome you to share this experience with me! Your comments or suggestions are most welcome and can even help tip the balance towards more hits (or more misses? nah)!!!

You may also notice that most of my recipes (except baking which require exact measurements) do not contain exact, measured ingredients (I will provide estimates), so you are free to do a little experimenting on the side to make this dish uniquely your own!

No comments: