Friday, August 06, 2004

Stir-fried Asparagus with Mushrooms




I served this veggie dish with the Beef Mechado. Since my mother-in-law is not particularly fond of beef/meat, I would usually prepare a vegetable dish for her and (hopefully) for the kids as well. Most of the time I would just stir-fry whatever vegetable is available, paying attention to color (usually 3 ) and flavor ( should be complementary).

Anyway, here's how to cook this dish:




Heat wok. Saute garlic and onions in olive oil until fragrant. Add red bell peppers and asparagus cut in 2 inch pieces. Add a little hot water or broth and season with maggi(tm) seasoning, salt and pepper. You may add a little soy sauce or any favorite seasoning/sauce. Simmer for a few minutes. Add mushrooms last. Here I used two kinds of mushrooms, fresh shiitake and straw mushrooms ( you can also use any other desired vegetable). Dish out and serve at once.

My kids didn't like it and I'm not even surprised :=(



2 comments:

betsyg said...

The (enoki)straw and shitake mushrooms are my kids' favorite. Instead of bak choy, I think I'll try asparagus next time and see how the combination works. Unfortunately, asparagus and brussel sprouts are two of the veggies my kids avoid. I use a little bit of oyster sauce and knorr seasoning to taste. Also, I put fresh garlic (minced) at the end (hindi nagisa) and a tablespoon of cornstarch dissolved in 1 cup water as a sauce.

Manang said...

If only veggies here are as common and cheap as they are there....that looks yummy! I'm sure if I prepare that even my kids will eat!